Friday, June 16, 2017

The Great Saturday Morning Cartoon Breakfast Bash

Yes, sir, folks, the date's almost here for some of us to relive that wonderful Saturday morning ritual we grew up with--cartoons and cereal. Back then it was with lots of sugar, so, while we won't be totally clear of sugar, we'll minimize it. Somewhat....

What, you may ask, is this GSMCBB of which I speak? Well, it happened this way. For some time, Wendy and I have hosted a variety of horror and sci-fi movie parties. And, one day, brainstorming other movie themes, I got on my soapbox (yes, once again) about how kids today are deprived. No Saturday morning cartoons. So, we decided that what's needed, at least for our band of grown-up (sorta) kids would be a Saturday morning cartoon party.

I've assembled, over the years, a bunch of cartoons from back in the day, some on VHS, some on DVD (waiting on the arrival of Jonny Quest, season 1), along with the commercials from the 50s, 60s, and early 70s. I'll have a sampling from those three decades, and, whereas I won't show them exactly in the same order or same time that we would've seen them back then, I'll create a reasonable facsimile of the schedule, starting off with and episode or two of Underdog--"There's no need to fear, Underdog is here...."

I'll intersperse with our kid commercials, including toy commercials, cereal commercials, and, hopefully, Keds sneakers.

Food? Glad you asked. Cereal and cinnamon rolls for breakfast, with OJ, and coffee. Lunch will be a bit more adultish, with DIY sandwich materials--luncheon meat, veggies, that sort of thing.

Might even have a sing-along. "Here I come to save the day...."

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment