Monday, June 12, 2017

... but Now am Found

Yeah, that was just to rope you in. The title has nothing to do with "Amazing Grace." What it has to do with is the pocket knife in the photo.

It's a Tree Brand pocket knife that my 6th grade teacher, Sam Hardy, gave to me when I graduated from high school. And in case you're wondering, no, I'm not going to sell it. However, it's spent more time away from me than with me. Oh, it's always been around, but most of the time I never knew it. Here's how it goes.

I carried it around in my pocket for quite some time after high school, but somewhere along the line, I lost it.

Replaced it with another knife, but it just wasn't the same.

Okay, so, let's jump ahead to 1986, 1987... something like that. I'm sitting on the couch in my living room back in Owensboro, Kentucky. Some friends and I are watching some science fiction movies, can't remember what they were now. Anyway, I happen to shove my hand between the couch cushions. I don't know, fishing for change maybe, and I feel something metal, but it sure isn't pocket change. It was my old Tree Brand knife.

Carried it around for a few more years. Lost it again.

Now, my wife and I are going through stuff in our garage, seeing what we can toss, and there, among some odd pieces of this and that, is... yes, drum roll time... my knife. Found this time after more than 20 years.

So, here it is on my desk. I have another knife that I carry now, a Leatherman, also from one of my best friends. I carry it in a belt case. Don't like much stuff in my pockets anymore. Too bulky and lumpy. But, I just like the idea of my old Tree Brand being around. So, I'll shove it in a drawer, try to remember where I put it. I'll eventually forget, though. We'll move. Other stuff will happen.

But you know what. Some time later, I'll be fishing around looking for something else, and guess what I'll find.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.