Wednesday, February 15, 2017

What I Need is Writer Oil

The undisciplined writer, that's what I am. Well, I figure you can guess that from the infrequency of my posts of late. Been busy with life lately.

Now, I know that's no excuse. Especially when I read about other writers' routines. "I'm up at 5 AM every day, dress, work out, have a cup of something, then write until noon." But then there's the rest of us. Folks woulda coulda shoulda done that, but just slam down a few words when we can. It's not so much a writer's block as inertia. A matter of stuckness, like that old faucet on the side of the house that just won't turn off in the spring. Writer's oil, that's what's needed. Note to self: save that idea of writer's oil. Never know when it'll come in handy.

Anyway, I'm back, trying to get the machinery moving again. Also in the final phases, I hope, of edits on my novel. People ask me, "When are you gonna finish that thing?" Well, when I'm ready. Being waylaid for a bit, I need a final running start (or running finish) at it. It's my flagship and I want it as good as it can possibly be.

Aaahhh, this feels better, pounding the keys after a hiatus. Afore I head out, I'll leave you with this live action example of proofing your work with your eyeballs, not just your word processor's spell-a-matic. I saw this on the web site of a major organization today. Here's an excerpt. I won't divulge the organization's name:

Work & Jobs
Your Fired. Now What?
8 things to do before handing over your employee ID

What, exactly, is my 'fired'? If they had visually inspected it, they would've seen they needed "You're", not "Your". I engage in word play, but I don't think that's what happened. Oops.

Keep writing, friends. Even if your undisciplined. Catch that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.