Thursday, December 22, 2016

Winter and Writers, Writers and Winter

Winter is the anagram of writer...if you swap an 'r' for an 'n', and...there you go.

As we climb out of the deep pit of darkness from the shortest day of the year, gradually getting longer days, I thought about what other writers have said about Christmas, and Saint Nick, and winter. I know that during these dark days and nights it takes more effort to get myself to the keyboard, or crack open the notebook. I've read that some writers take the entire month of December off. I can't quite do that. I've learned from the school of hard knocks that if I go too long without putting a word or two down, I get writer logjam. But don't just listen to me. Let's see what some other writerly folks have to say about the holiday season.

“Melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night.”
Virginia Woolf, Jacob's Room


Okay, well Virginia wouldn't have been the jolliest elf, anyway.

 “If winter comes, can spring be far behind?”
Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ode to the West Wind


 Not bad, Percy. A little more hopeful that Virginia. Who's up next?


"There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus." - Author Unknown


Someone needs to fess up, whoever wrote that one. A nice sentiment. And we get eggnog and cookies.

Let's look at one last quote, then get back to our writing, shall we?

"Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling."
- Edna Ferber


Ah, a good one. That's the way I've always felt. Well, time to slip on my Santa hat and have a little eggnog.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.