Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Vermont Bound by Way of Yellow Springs

Fried bologna, anyone?

Here we are, finally taking my retirement trip in search of Vermont and New Hampshire diners, and whatever else falls on our plates along the way. Also getting some writing time in, too.

We began our trek yesterday morning, a Tuesday, stopping off for a good breakfast at the Jerry's Restaurant in Paris, Kentucky, one of the few remaining Jerry's in the area. Just good, reliable diner food--eggs, toast, hash browns, and good coffee, before two-laneing our way on highway 68 to Yellow Springs, Ohio.

Yellow Springs is a great little pocket of old-school hippieness, with lots of veggie and tofu-like restaurants, and some really cool new age shops. Always have to check out Dark Star Books & Comics and see Mr. Eko, the resident bookstore cat, who I suspect also runs the operation. We wanted to overnight at the Springs Motel, a wonderful little strip motel, but they had no vacancies, so we pushed on.

Lunchtime was at Ye Olde Trail Tavern in Yellow Springs, with one of the best fried bologna sandwiches I've had in a while. Oh, did I mention that this is a low-cal trip?

The rest of the day, yesterday, we alternated between two-lane highways where we could take our time and wander through some of the small farm communities, and I-71 followed by I-271, which ran between Cleveland and Akron. It was amazing. We never had a terrible amount of traffic, even threading the needle between Cleveland and Akron. I used to drive worse traffic during rush hour heading home from Frankfort to Lexington, KY.

Well, more later, folks. Tomorrow I'll tell you about Kay's Place Restaurant, another little gem.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.