Friday, September 30, 2016

The Virtual Traveler: The Road Goes on Forever

Refer to previous post: http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-virtual-traveler-time-out-of-step.html

"Hungry?" I asked.

"Huh? Oh, sure, honey. Want to check out this place?" Wendy responded.

"Just what I was thinking. We can check inside, find out about the new exit."

We pulled in, it was one of the old style general stores we love to hit when traveling. Had that Rabbit Hash, Kentucky, general store look to it. You know the type--old Coke machine up near the front, fresh sandwiches made while you look around, even a jar of pickled bologna on the front counter. Over to the right of the counter and behind it on the back wall was a rack of vacuum tubes. I smiled to myself and thought, "Hmm...haven't seen these in years." So, I called Wendy over and said, "Look, Wen, old vacuum tubes. We used to sell those at Radio Shack back in the day."

"That for some of your electronic gear, Tom?" she asked.

"Mostly old radios." I said to the lady behind the counter, "Guess you don't have much call for vacuum tubes these days, do you?"

"Well, sir, folks around here need them a fair amount. We're a self-sufficient lot."

I didn't think much about it, so I said, "Oh, that's good. Nice to see the old tech still used."

She smiled and kind of raised one eyebrow, then said, "Can I help you folks find anything?"

"We saw your place after we took that new exit off New Circle a minute ago, so we thought we'd stop in, see what you have to eat."

"Sure thing. You like roast beef sandwiches?"

Wendy and I both said, "Yep."

"But this New Circle you mentioned a minute ago. What is that?"

"New Circle Road. Around Lexington. We saw all the construction and noticed this new exit for Georgetown, so we decided to take it and see where it leads us. Felt like a drive and maybe even heading up to Indiana or Ohio for the day."

She laughed and said, "Folks, I think you're a bit out of your way right now. You're in Missouri. Although I heard you say something about Georgetown, and you are on the road to Georgetown, Missouri. If you hop back on 50 outside here and head west, you'll run through Sedalia, then take 65 north a ways and hop on H going west, and that'll take you to Georgetown. Here are your sandwiches. That'll be a dollar, please."

Wendy and I looked at each other with the open-mouthed Wile E. Coyote look.

More adventures later...

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.