Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Whadda Ya Mean, Whadda Ain't in the Dictionary?


It's true. I just checked in with Mr. M and W, and whadda isn't in there. They do offer a heckuva (heckuva ain't in there, either) lot of spelling suggestions, though, just in case I don't know what I'm talking about. Words such as whydah, waddy, wadi, what all, and Waldo. Other possibilities are wedgy, rawhide, and whitey. Excuse me, Sir Merriam and Sir Webster, but I know the difference between a whadda and rawhide. And wedgy, well, if we've ever been adolescents, which I'm guessing most of us have, we know that's not how you spell wedgie.

Also, the SpellCzech in Blogger just plain doesn't like whydah or waddy at all. It red flags them as though they were words I had confabricated myself.

Ain't is in the dictionary, and I know my mom's spinning rapidly in her grave to find that one out. Means either: am not, are not, is not, have not, or has not. I think they couldn't make up their minds on that one, or lost a bet, and I ain't kiddin'. Sorry, Mom.

Back on January 1, 2014, we had 1,025,109.8 words in the English language, according to the Global Language Monitor. I don't know who this Global Language Hoop-de-Doo is, but he sure ain't no mathematician. Maybe that's what happened to whadda. Point eight of whadda would be roughly whadd, and everyone knows whadd ain't no word.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment