Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Rolling About at Three-Something in the Morning



Why is it that words roll about in my head when it's dark outside and everyone else is asleep in my house except for me and Barley, one of our two cats? And she can't type, at least that I know of.

I lay (was laying? lying?) in bed a short while ago, after having drifted awake from a beautiful sleep and I thought of the word 'roll' and how it can be both verb or noun--but not both simultaneously. I can roll a stone or eat a roll. But I can't eat a role. I can certainly play a role. I can also roll a roll or toss a roll. And sometimes I'm on a roll. I can even be on a roll in a role.

Then there's 'strike'. I could go on a strike, or strike out. I can strike a match, but only if I wish to start a fire, but not if I were to fire someone. Depending on where I worked, I could certainly be fired if I started a fire by striking a match. Then I would have to find another job that would be a good match for me.

Ah, yes, I think most of the words have rolled out of my head now. Perhaps I will head back to bed. And why is it head but not hed and bed but not bead?

That's for another three-something session. Goodnight, everyone. C'mon, Barley, let's go back to bed.


For more of my word-playish posts, please see these:

http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2015/09/a-yogi-and-berra-walk-into-bar.html
http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/01/no-bad-wordsbad-thoughts-maybe.html
http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-jester-went-to-liberry-in-jest.html
http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/03/did-anyone-really-expect-me-to-find.html

  Keep writing, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Cheer up, Tom! Maybe this Christmas, Santa will bring you a real toy, instead of a bead that bounces off your head.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.