Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Still Editing After all These Years



Finally, finally, I near the end of the editing process. After this last batch, of which I'm editing ten pages a day, which should wrap things up in less than a month (as long as I stick to my schedule and don't get sucked into a protracted Angry Birds, or Age of Mythology, or the genealogy rabbit hunt). Of course, then my beta readers, poor souls, will hammer it, turning it red with their pen-swords. Ha ha! I say unto them, make it bleed. I shall heal it!

There is no such thing as pure editing or pure revising. At least not for me. In the process of trimming a word or two, replacing two for one, and just generally sweeping away the debris, there's always a bit of revision in the process. In the rereading (and I recommend highly reading aloud to yourself so you can hear the flow of your story) I'll see a sentence that needs to go away, or go elsewhere. Also, can't help but see places where I can improve the tone.

Mostly I'm getting rid of the weasel words that are okay if not used often, but when they're sprinkled in like crushed red pepper flakes (can't get enough of those), they rob your words of their power. Words, for example, like 'just', as in, "I just have to add in a just or two, just to make it sound like me."

Here are a few other posts about editing. Also, please leave your comments below. I'd love to hear from you, my readers.

http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/03/finished-writing-now-what.html

Okay, back at it.

Keep writing, friends.

2 comments:

  1. I won't hammer it, I will hug it and squeeze it and pet it and will call it George. Clark aka anomymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, one of my all-time favorites, Mr. A-nonnie-moose. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.