Tuesday, June 21, 2016

He Rode in on His Thesaurus



Yes, I'm back again, beating (or drubbing, or trouncing, or defeating) a dead (or stiff, or checked out, or buried) horse, going on about words and their various synonyms in the Thesaurus. And what we find is that not all synonyms are created equally. As in some of the above word choices, one could beat a dead horse; however, it's obvious a stiff horse has already been defeated. It could, however, be argued that the horse had already been defeated, in a sense, and that you can no longer defeat that which is already defeated. So, there is that.

What got me started on that line of thinking was the word 'synonym'. And I decided to plug it into the Thesaurus, and came back with 'equivalent' and 'metonym'. Equivalent produced choices such as even, like, and parallel, whereas metonym dodged the issue by tossing me back to equivalent. What I'm trying to figure out, is how to replace synonym with those words in a sentence. If even, for example, is a synonym for synonym, is it that way for every situation? In the case where even is used as an adverb to express surprise or something in the extreme, is it even a synonym? And parallel. Are parallel lines synonymous lines?

And let's not get started with metonym. It's supposed to be equivalent to parallel, but I've not heard of metonymous lines.

Okay, I've abused your heads enough today.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.