Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Who Ya Gonna Call? Clichebusters



Yeah, my blog post title doesn't have the same ring (cliché) as the original version, but it highlights the fact (cliché) that clichés are everywhere. What may or may not be surprising to you is how prevalent they are. So, I thought I'd take another dip into the turbulent waters of the 'net and perhaps surprise myself with just how common they are.


Brief aside: I couldn't figure out how to make the acute accent above the letter e in the word cliché, so I went to Microsoft Word and created it, copied and pasted it in the body of my blog post. Now, I just discovered, when I type the word cliché, Blogger inserts the accent. Hmm...artificial intelligence, anyone? HAL, are you in there? But when I do the spell-check in Blogger, it yellow-flags cliché. Allrighty, then.


First up is a sited called ClichéSite.com, at http://clichesite.com/alpha_list.asp?which=lett+1. Let's see what we have, shall we? I'll highlight the clichés.


Seems these clichés are all over the map.


Here's an oldie but a goodie--I'd bet the farm I can't make my way through this post without tripping over at least a baker's dozen clichés. Like shooting fish in a barrel.



How to make our work more original, more us? Well, one thing we can do is take those tired old cliches and tweak 'em a little. Play around with the original cliché, then see what words you can substitute. You'll get some clinkers, but, who knows, you might even do a Bill Shakespeare and invent your own phrase that will eventually become a cliché.


Here are my attempts at rewording 'sleep with one eye open'.



Sleep as though awake
Sleep as though your were awake
Sleep with one eye awake


In the meantime, don't take any wooden nickels.


Keep writing, friends.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use cliches without even realizing it at times which I imagine can make it hard to recognize them in our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading the Sunday paper today and saw I don't know how many cliches in just a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good cliché is hard to find. Clark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flannery O'Connor would agree, I think.

      Delete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.