Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Maybe I'll Write a Satirical Romantic Comedy of Epic Proportions



Ever wonder where your writing fits? Well, sure, if you're a writer, you'll think of that occasionally. Some of us obsess about it, become immobilized by the idea. Or we think that because we write in one genre we can't write in others.

I've written about the whole genre thing before, how we like to put things in boxes--this one's science fiction, that one's a western, over here we have steampunk.

Now, most of the time I don't think about it when writing. I just write. But I did a couple of 'net searches a few minutes ago, just to see what genres, sub- and otherwise, exist. Naturally, which site I hit determined which genres I saw. Here's a sampling:

From http://www.dailywritingtips.com/35-genres-and-other-varieties-of-fiction/, we have everything from airport novels (the quick reads for sale at international airports) to something called bildungsroman (deals with the a character's emotional and moral growth--isn't that most stories, though?) to tragicomedies (exactly what it sounds like) to a swashbuckler, which to me is just another type of adventure fiction.

Here's another site that complicates matters further: http://writing.colostate.edu/gallery/multigenre/genrelist.html. Now we have personal letters, lesson plans, liner notes, and this is the one where I raised both eyebrows--birth certificate. When did a birth certificate become a genre of literature. Was someone trying for a grant there at Colorado State?

So, I'm just going to write genre-be-damned. I'll let the academics argue about whether it's sword-and-sandals, creative nonfiction, or just plain crap.

For more musings on genre, check this out: http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-genre-by-any-other-name.html.

Keep writing, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Someone needs to identify web log as a genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certain we can find that listed on some academic site.

      Delete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.