Saturday, April 9, 2016

Words Like Fire



I'm a bit slow at things. Finally got around to watching Chariots of Fire (1981) last night. I mean, it's only been 35 years since it was released. And in spite of all the cliches, it deserved every award it received, and more. Here was an example of fine acting, directing, and writing.

I wrote the other day about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and how, even though we had godlike beings, and a classically mythological tale, it didn't work because of editing. Please refer to my post on B v S: http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-few-scenes-shouldve-hit-cutting-room.html


With Chariots, we had young men who wrestled with the gods, each with his own reason for striving to be the best, the fastest. The writing was tight, no dead spots, but they paced it to allow the story to breathe. And the music. In B v S they felt they needed to pummel us with walls of sound so we knew we were watching Titans battle. In Chariots the music was there for punctuation. From the story and the actors we knew we were watching young Titans contending.

If you're writing a story of a mythological nature, I can think of no better example to study than Chariots of Fire. Then you'll have words like fire.

Keep writing, friends.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Darn tootin'. Folks can say what they will about it being cliche, but that's only because it stays with us. And that iconic music is perfect for the opening running sequence, as well as the last where they're heading out of sight down the beach. Love it. :-)

      Delete
  3. Just got around to watching Chariot of Fire? You just bumped me out of 1st place. I've haven't watched the entire movie. Just bits and pieces. Don't know why I never got around to watching the whole thing. But based on the parts I did see, I'd say you're right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see now why it's a classic. And one of the many things I loved about it was that it didn't have a bad guy. No villains. Just a well-done story.

      Delete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.