Monday, April 11, 2016

Where Do These Words Come From?



When writing, I consider myself a student of language--always learning. Especially as I'm a writer by desire, not originally educated as one, I feel I have a lot of catching up to do. Still, though, I don't let grammar rules stand in my way.


One thing that fascinates me is the origin of words. I finished reading an adventure book from 1911 called "Tom Swift and His Wireless Message", one of a series of young adult (or perhaps juvenile fiction). And certain words and phrases caught my attention. For example, I saw the words 'today' and 'tomorrow' written as 'to-day' and 'to-morrow'.


Returning to the Internet well, I ladled out this bit of research, from a site called the Online Etymology Dictionary: http://www.etymonline.com/


To-day derived from the Old English to dæge, meaning 'on this day'. Those Old English folks wrote it as two words 'to day' until the 1500s, then 'to-day' until sometime after 1911, as my Tom Swift book has it as 'to-day'.


About the same origin for 'to-morrow', meaning 'on the morrow'. Those Old English folks again, and it started as 'to morgenne' (morning evolved from morgenne). Once again, 'to morrow' until the 1500s, 'to-morrow' until my Tom Swift books, then 'tomorrow'.


On a side note, I just broke Spellcheck with the Old English words.


I have other word origins to toss your way, but not to-day. How about to-morrow?


For more about word origins, click on the following links:


http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2015/09/suitcasing-some-new-words.html


http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2015/12/yes-virginia-supercalifragilisticexpial.html


http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/01/no-bad-wordsbad-thoughts-maybe.html


Keep writing, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff Tom, very interesting. Have you every played the board games "Balderdash" or "Origins"? They are based on similar themes. I think you'd enjoy them. :) Later, Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. Yep, many moons ago I've played them. Love them. See ya later, amigo. :-)

      Delete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.