Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Don't be a Writer Rule Slave



As I'm finishing the final read-through of my manuscript, I've hit several sources, both paper and electronic, to help with the editing. I'm always on the hunt for useful tips and tricks. One of my favorites is editMinion at http://editminion.com/.


Lately I've used a post on the SmartBlogger site called "297 Flabby Words and Phrases That Rob Your Writing of All Its Power". This list proves amazingly helpful. Here's the site: https://smartblogger.com/weak-writing/.


One thing I'd like to point out. Everyone warns about not using passive verb construction, and that's good advice, but there are exceptions. In my novel, most of my characters are warriors. Powerful beings. So, yes, active verbs suit them. However, if I have a weak character, a victim of war, perhaps, then I might want to have them speak in a passive sense. So, careful with obeying rules absolutely. Don't be a writer slave.


Check out one of my previous posts on this subject: http://writefromthegitgo.blogspot.com/2016/03/it-all-depends-on-whos-talkingand.html


Keep writing, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Question: Is "Rules are made to be broken" passive or active?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I should just go ahead and step up with, "I break the rules."

      Delete

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.