Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Weeding the Garden


Well, that's how I think of it--the editing/revising process. And it takes time. After you've written something, you need to let it sit for a while, ferment. Then return to the scene of the crime with new eyes. Vicious eyes.

The chart I've included is one of the most concise, one of the most helpful charts I've seen in some time, as far as what the differences are between revising and editing. Sure, it may be oversimplified somewhat, but it still helps.

One way I think of it is that revising is a little grittier, and you need all your brain cells, so for me at least, I need to revise when I'm ready to be a bit more ruthless with my work. Editing I can do when I'm half asleep, or just not ready to dig deep. When I don't feel like doing anything else I can always check for grammar problems.

Almost forgot to mention: the above chart came from "The Writer's Circle" at http://writerscircle.com/

I'll leave you with this quote from Elmore Leonard--"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it."

Keep writing, editing, and revising, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.