Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Now You See it, Now You...


White space. I first learned about it in a black-and-white photography class I took umpteen years ago. That was a revelation for me, the idea that a photograph doesn't have to be slammed full of stuff. Same goes for writing, film, music, or just about any of the arts.

In writing, we don't have to fluff the page as though we're writing a book report for our 8th grade English class. A lot of times it's the stuff that's left unsaid that resonates like a hammer dropped on a concrete floor.

Although this is a writing blog, I'm thinking about a movie I recently saw called A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, a fantastic vampire film. Shot in black-and-white, this film uses the contrast like a master, but one of the most striking things is the sparse dialog. What is said is only what must be said. And it works.

For another example, look at Alfred Hitchcock's movies--Psycho in particular. We never see the knife pierce her skin. Our minds do that for us.

And remember that hammer I dropped in the second paragraph? Someone took it but left a blood stain....

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.