Thursday, February 18, 2016

I'm Writing Now, but I Wrote


Writing this post now, I'm thinking about some of the writerly advice regarding using -ing words too much. Like in that last sentence.

Some sources say to get rid of all -ing words. Pish posh, I say. Writing is not black or white. But don't get carried away. Unless you want to. Those words are there to be used.

I think of -ing words like this: they describe a process. A well-placed -ing word paints a picture of action in the reader's head. A past tense word like wrote is static. It's done. It happened. Like a snapshot. Even a present tense word like write is stuck in space. I write. But when I say, "I'm writing," I can see it happening.

Here's another example: Zipping down the highway after the Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote slammed into the painted tunnel on the cliff wall.

He was doing well, zipping along, until he slammed into the cliff.

So, I will continue using -ing words, but I will use them...sparingly.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.