Sunday, February 21, 2016

I Me Mine


The young girl's fangs grew as I watched from the shadows. I was certain she never saw me...at least not until she looked directly into the darkness where I stood.

That's an example of first-person point-of-view writing. Something that can be powerful when we want to be in the head of the person all the stuff is happening to. In other words, the writer. Trick is to not have it sound like writing. Remember those what-I-did-on-my-summer-vacation reports we had to do? Yeah, you don't want your words sounding like that:

I walked down to the drugstore. I bought some comic books... That's death by reading.

Just finished reading "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney, a terrific example of the first-person form that works great for the feeling of paranoia in the story. Check out this sentence from his novel:

"Next morning when I got to my office, a patient was waiting, a quiet little woman in her forties who sat in the leather chair in front of my desk, hands folded in her lap over her purse, and told me she was perfectly sure her husband wasn't her husband at all."

So, now we're in our doctor's head, wondering, like he's wondering, why she thinks that. Mr. Finney really uses first-person POV to maximum advantage in his story to show our hero's state of mind.

Keep writing, friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.