Saturday, November 28, 2015

Today We Fight for Each Other


This is a little different post from what I usually write. It's a running commentary as I head toward the end of my manuscript. Oh, I will have some sticky parts to clean up as I go back through for the final editing, I assure you. But this large scene I work on now is a battle sequence.

It is a scene that I have worked on before, sketching it out, just to get the gist of it down. By no means complete. But what I have worked on today is the pre-battle speech, a definite must before any major battle.

What I've found helpful is to watch movies that have stirring pre-battle speeches. Watch those, and certain ones will resonate with you. Not all will. But listen to them to capture the feeling. Two in particular that put me in the mood to draw a sword and go "Once more unto the breach, dear friends..." are the St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V (1989), and the pre-battle speech from The 13th Warrior (1999), spoken by Buliwyf. Both of those will prepare you save the regiment single-handedly.

If you need other examples, a quick Internet search for pre-battle speeches should give you several hits.

Keep writing, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment