Thursday, November 19, 2015

Those Mome Raths Certainly Were Outraged


Been having some fun with the predictive text feature in word processors lately. You know, that oftenly (or rottenly--it doesn't care for my made-up words) annoying little genie (or jinn) that tromps about within our computers, waiting for an opportunity to second-guess what we're writing. So, I decided to have some writerly (or whitefly?) fun by typing in Lewis Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky," just to see if I could make it hemorrhage. Here's Mr. Carroll's poem with the jinn's suggestions.

"Taws billing, and the smithy toes
Did gyre and gamble in the wave;
All missy were the brogues,
And the mime rats outrage.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jujube bird, and shun
The furious Bandersnatch!"

He took his viral sword in hand;
Long time the manhole foe he sought--
So rested he by the Tetum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in offish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulle wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The viral blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Calloo! Calla!"
He chortled in his joy.

Taws billing, and the smithy toes
Did gyre and gamble in the wave;
All missy were the brogues,
And the mime rats outrage.

Apparently, frabjous totally frabbed it out, as it could offer no suggestions.

So, not to worry, my writerly friends, computers won't replace us yet. Although I rather like the line: Long time the manhole foe he sought...

Keep writing, friends, and stay supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, folks. Tom here. I wish to encourage open, friendly conversation on my blog. I would love to hear from you.

I am a bit slow at times, so please check back. I will respond to your comments.